Welcome to “DIY’ Birthday Parties! On a budget! The idea is to be able to throw an awesome birthday party- without having to hire someone or break the bank!
My nephew LOOOOVES Dr Pepper, so my sister thought it would be a great theme for a 13 year old boys (or girls) birthday party! I liked this theme because it is different and most of it is “do it yourself” because places like Amazon, Party City etc. don’t have this theme to buy birthday party supplies. The black and red party supply bundle along with the red, white and silver arch were perfect for this theme to come together! Let the party planning begin!
First things first
– you know you will need décor, a cake, party favors, etc. Amazon had a bunch of Dr. Pepper treats like the cotton candy, jelly belly beans and the syrup topping. So those were on the must buy list! I didn’t know this but there are actually a couple different kinds of Dr. Pepper- Strawberries and Cream, Cream soda, etc. so we just got a 12 pack of each kind so there were multiple choices to select from. The table cloth package from Amazon wasn’t “Dr. Pepper” specific but the colors matched perfectly!
I love using theme Quotes for decoration for parties. Printing a quote and putting it in a frame can be the perfect (and free!) décor- Dollar tree usually has white frames that are perfect! My favorite one from this party- “Dr. Pepper is my primary doctor”- Classic!
Can you believe this cake!!!! My sister is soooooooooo talented! I don’t know how she pulled this one off but it was so cool and looked SO realistic. The base was chocolate cake surrounded by KitKat candy bars. To make the realistic “soda”, Wilton Clear Piping gel was used and colored is brown with food dye. The cupcakes were also chocolate with pink vanilla frosting, chocolate sprinkles and topped with a cherry! If you have a Dr. Pepper lover in your life, you should totally try to make them this cake! It came out so fun and wowed everyone!
Dr Pepper Favors
– Each kid received a Dr. Pepper cup (maroon cup with Dr. Pepper Cricut), filled with a can of Dr. Pepper, Cherry Rock Candy and Soda Bottle Wax Candy.
The Dr. Pepper peeps may have been seasonal but definitely a kid favorite!
Some of the gifts my sister got for my nephew included the Dr. Pepper Air Pods, Dr. Pepper socks and a Dr. Pepper Mini Fridge! He LOVED them all!
My nephew had a choice to wear the traditional Dr. Pepper tshirt of the “Trust me I’m a Doctor” t-shirt. He ultimately went with the traditional!
My Moms glazed sugar cookies always fly off the plate! We kept it simple with the soda cookie cutter and the confectionary sugar glazed topping.
Sugar Cookie Recipe: The Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe | Wilton (I prefer to use Vanilla Extract instead of Almond – but that is a personal preference!)
And let’s give it up for the Birthday Boy! Happy 13th Birthday!
This party was full of really great ideas that you could use for not only a tween party, but for an adult party as well!
*We Like to Party Plan is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. As part of this Amazon Associates program, the Website will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Need more Info?
*Dr Pepper Supply Credits*
- Dr. Pepper Air pods Case
- Dr. Pepper Cotton Candy
- Dr. Pepper Mini Fridge
- Dr. Pepper Socks
- Maroon Cups
- Dr. Pepper Dessert Topper
- Dr. Pepper Jelly Beans
- Birthday Party Supplies- Tablecloth, Plates, Napkins
- Balloon Garland Arch
- Bottle Cookie Cutter
- Trust Me I’m a Doctor T shirt
- Dr. Pepper Strawberries and Cream
- Dr. Pepper Cream Soda
- Mini Soda Bottle Wax Candy